Monday, August 31, 2009

Catwaxing Project

So for a while I've been thinking about horror/suspense/dark fantasy/thriller/mystery novels that have writers as protagonists, antagonists, or some other sort of significant but nist-less character, and I've decided to try to put together a list of as many I can find.

Off the top of my head, I have:

Lisey's Story by Stephen King
Bag of Bones by Stephen King
Misery by Stephen King
The Shining by Stephen King (noticing a trend here...)
The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub
Small Town by Lawrence Block
Who Made Stevie Crye? by Michael Bishop
Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist
The Peter Wimsey novels in which Harriet Vane appears, written by Dorothy L. Sayers
The Tim Underwood books (eg The Throat, Koko) by Peter Straub

I am specifically excluding straight SF, non-dark fantasy, and mainstream works, such as Herovit's World by Barry Malzberg or The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, and Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. It might not count as dark, but certainly they're mysteries; Asimov's Black Widowers stories have a writer as protagonist. In fact, so (probably?) does the darkly humorous Azazel by the same author...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should clarify -- the "dark" only pertains to to "dark fantasy". Everything else is unmodified.

    Thanks, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete